A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley

A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley
In which a couple tries to thrive creatively and intellectually on and offline

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A fox mask made from recycled materials

I love to make masks for Halloween costumes. This year my husband and I are going as Mr and Mrs Fox from The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Yesterday I made my mask using recycled materials and shag fur fabric. Here's how I did it.

Materials:
-1 milk jug
-1 orange juice jug
-1 egg carton
-1 cereal box
-1 roll duct tape
-scrap fabric
-batting
-1 recycled translucent white curtain
-markers
-hot glue
-needle
-thread
-shag fur

First, I made sketches:

Using some scrap fabric, I created a band to build the mask off of. I marked the area where it would rest on my forehead with a marker.

Sewing the bottom of the milk jug to the band, I created a kind of half-helmet. Then I added the ears, made from milk jug plastic and cardboard.

From this base I just continued to build the inner structure. I wear glasses, so I had to make sure that there would be enough space for me to wear them in the mask. The egg carton cups were especially helpful for building up areas. This was done using hot glue and a lot of duct tape. I drew irises on the white curtain fabric, and sewed them into the eye holes.

I added batting to the entire area with hot glue.

The shag fur was a real pain. It shed whenever I cut it, and my glue gun got covered. I burned my fingers up big time. For the next mask, I'm definitely going to wear gloves. I created a flap in back that covers the area where the mask is tied, and then used hairspray to calm the fuzzy fake fur and hold it in place.

Tah dah!

1 comment:

  1. that's great I am busy making one for my 6 yr old for Roald Dahl day. Mine is from a blender box and egg boxes plus card to build up the nose and ears.

    Rosa, London

    ReplyDelete