A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley

A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley
In which a couple tries to thrive creatively and intellectually on and offline

Monday, October 25, 2010

Entry for the NASA and Etsy Space Craft Contest

I finished my entry for the NASA and Etsy Space Craft Contest today! Since I was a child, I have always had a love of astronomy and space exploration. I had all of Isaac Asimov's books on the subject, and I had those glow in the dark stars in my room, but I based them off of real constellations (okay, so I was a major nerd).

It is called "We will reach out to the Stars", and it is an original acrylic painting on a 20in x 24in canvas. This painting was inspired by the beauty of our universe and the importance of exploration. I titled it after a Stephen Hawking quote; "I don't think the human race will survive the next thousand years, unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can befall life on a single planet. But I'm an optimist. We will reach out to the stars."

I found out from some research that nebulae are the birth place of stars, so I took the idea one step further and represented the stars as eggs on canvas.

When you find a nest of eggs, without further observation you would have no idea what they may become. When we look up at the stars, each speck of light represents a whole area of our universe that without further observation or exploration would be unknown to us. Human beings are meant to be explorers, and that is why I think the Space Program is so important.

I really hope that I can at least make the first cut in this contest. If I do, I will need help making it to the final round, because the 2nd round is voted on by Etsy users! So on November 12th, if I post that I've made it to the 2nd round, please vote for my piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment