A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley

A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley
In which a couple tries to thrive creatively and intellectually on and offline

Monday, August 30, 2010

A Science-filled weekend in the city


This last weekend my husband and I drove up to San Francisco to meet up with the Bay Area Badgers Group in the Presidio. I also decided to use this as a fact-finding trip for me to do some serious research on animals for my children's custom work. We spent Saturday at the California Academy of Sciences, which, while pricey (about $25 each for adults) is a gorgeous spot. We took our bikes through Golden Gate State Park to get there, which on a weekend is a little hairy, but we got there safe.

The California Academy of Sciences is basically a really state of the art field museum, with a fabulous aquarium and tons of animal and plant related exhibits. It is also always crowded. We didn't even make it up to the Extreme Mammals exhibit due to the lines, and the planetarium tickets were gone in an instant. Having said that, it was well worth the time and expense to go. The exhibits are really interesting, and we got a lot of photos and information on the animals that I will be using in the future.We also spent a decent amount of time just walking around, including along the Bay Beach in the Presidio area, where we both love to watch the dogs and their owners, the wind surfers, and the boats passing through. After a breakfast near the old Sutro bathhouses and a walk on the beach, we went to the Exploratorium with the Badger Alumni. This is without a doubt the coolest and most engaging science museum I have ever been to. Totally worth going to. My husband and I were like kids in a toy store running around and playing with all the exhibits.
They have an Artist in Residence program that I'm looking into. Once they open up the application process, I'm definitely applying. My husband and I already have plans from what we saw to create some sculptures and experiments! Once he is back to only working 60 hours a week, we may even have time to start working on them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment