A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley

A Physicist and Artist try to make it in Silicon Valley
In which a couple tries to thrive creatively and intellectually on and offline

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Getting Ready for Market SF

On July 10th I am going to be at Market SF, an Artist Market in the Mission District of San Francisco. This is the first event like this that I have done in quite some time, so I've had to do some scrambling to get supplies and promotional materials together. I thought it would be nice to share my preparations for anyone who hasn't done this before.

Here is what I have purchased and prepared so far:
Promotional:
  • 500 business cards, created in Photoshop and printed by an online retailer
  • Tweeted the event and posted in my Facebook fan page
  • Posted the event on my Etsy Shop Announcement
  • Created a sign up sheets for newsletter
Materials:
  • 5-10 copies of each print
  • 1 printing calculator
  • 1 book of carbonless sales orders
  • 1 package of round price tag stickers
  • 1 pack of 100 clear envelope sleeves
  • 2 magazine racks (for browsing prints)
  • 2 holders for business cards (I'm using some ceramic vessels my mom made)
  • 1 money holder
  • 1 apron
  • pack of pens
  • Change in small bill denominations
  • I still need to buy shopping bags (don't want to, it's seems like a waste of resources, but I also know that I need to)
I was able to prepare for this show, and restock some much needed supplies for under $200 by shopping around and purchasing the majority of items online.

The tax rate here in Sunny California is 9.25%, but I don't want to be messing with change, so my prices will be rounded figures. Because I have to deal with similar overhead costs selling online (Etsy, PayPal, Shipping, etc.) I will probably sell the prints at the same price they are in my Etsy shop, minus shipping. That should cover tax and table costs.

If you are interested in starting your own show, Etsy had a recent article that was quite helpful.

Phew! I am starting to get nervous already! The last time I had a gallery show, I threw up twice before the opening. This should be easier since it is less formal.....hopefully.

1 comment: